Graduate Fellowships

ducklings-grad fellowship

FWCB graduate student stipends and research expenses are typically supported with a combination of research assistantships, teaching assistantships, and fellowships. Generally, the graduate programs affiliated with FWCB do not admit un-funded students. Prospective students should contact the Director of Graduate Studies and faculty members they are interested in working with to discuss the availability of funding. The following are the fellowship funds managed by the FWCB Department. Some of these are awarded to incoming students; others are for current students.

Carp Management Research Fund supports a graduate student research expenses associated with developing pheromone controls for exotic carp in lakes and streams.

Conservation Biology Graduate Student Fund supports fellowships, travel to meetings to present research or travel to special training programs.

Gordon Gullion Fellowship Fund provides fellowships for graduate students pursuing studies in wildlife ecology and management.

L. Daniel Frenzel & Thomas F. Waters Fellowships provides support for graduate students advised by a FWCB faculty member.

Leigh H. Perkins Fellowship in Wildlife Management supports graduate students in wildlife management working with the Gullion Endowed Chair.

Wally Dayton Fellowship in Wildlife Research provides support for new or current graduate students, with a preference for students interested in wildlife research with financial need, and who are veterans of active duty in the US Armed Forces or the Peace Corps.

John Dobie Memorial Fund provides fellowships for fisheries graduate students with excellent academic records.

In addition to FWCB fellowships, students can apply for Graduate School Fellowships. The Graduate School administers University-wide fellowships and grants, based on academic merit (unlike a teaching assistantship or research assistantship, fellowships and grants generally do not require students to work). Currently enrolled graduate students at the University of Minnesota may apply. Fellowships usually cover educational and living expenses, and grants usually cover expenses related to specific projects. Graduate students can see University-wide fellowship and grant opportunities on the Graduate School website.