Ph.D. University of Missouri
Areas of Interest
Avian ecology, population and community ecology, wildlife conservation and management
I am a Research Scientist with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. My research usually focuses on applied, population-level questions, but I am also interested in community- and ecosystem-level questions. My previous research includes a wide breadth of species such as wood ducks, ring-necked ducks, lesser scaup, mourning doves, northern bobwhite, peregrine falcons, swamp rabbits, raccoons, and even snails and trematodes. My current research focus addresses information needs for Minnesota’s grouse species; ruffed grouse, spruce grouse, greater prairie-chickens, sharp-tailed grouse, as well as other forest gamebirds. Current collaborative research projects with which I am involved include landscape genetics of greater prairie-chickens and sharp-tailed grouse, development of survey methods for spruce grouse, West Nile virus prevalence in ruffed grouse, neonicotinoid treated-seed availability for wildlife, greater prairie-chicken population responses to the Conservation Reserve Program, sharp-tailed grouse responses to prescribed burning and mowing during the fall, and vegetation and bird responses to prescribed burning in spring, summer, and fall. I am excited to begin new projects and new collaborations on a variety of topics.
- Roy, C. L., and P. L. Coy. 2020. Wildlife consumption of neonicotinoid-treated seeds at simulated seed spills. Environmental Research 190:109830.
- Roy, C. L., M. Jankowski, J. Ponder, D. Chen. 2020. Sub-lethal and lethal methods to detect recent imidacloprid exposure in birds with application to field studies. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 39(7):1355-1366
- Roy, C. L., J. H. Giudice, and C. Scharenbroich. 2020. An evaluation of cantus-call and pellet surveys for Spruce Grouse (Falcipennis canadensis canace) at the southern extent of the range. Journal of Field Ornithology 91(1): 44-63
- Franzen-Klein, D., M. Jankowski, C. L. Roy, H. Nguyen-Phuc, D. Chen, L. Neuman-Lee, P. Redig, J. Ponder. 2020. Evaluation of Neurobehavioral Abnormalities and Immunotoxicity after Oral Imidacloprid Exposure in Domestic Chickens (Gallus gallus domesticus). Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A: Current Issues.
- Roy, C. L., and A. Gregory. 2018. Landscape and population genetics reveal long distance sharp-tailed grouse (Tympanuchus phasianellus) movements and a recent bottleneck in Minnesota. Conservation Genetics
- Roy, C. L. 2018. Anthropogenic development, wetland attributes, and nest and brood survival of Ring-necked Ducks in the forest. Avian Conservation and Ecology 13(1):20.
- Berkman, L. K., C. K. Nielsen, C. L. Roy, E. J. Heist. 2018. A landscape genetic analysis of swamp rabbits suggests forest canopy cover enhances gene flow in an agricultural matrix. Canadian Journal of Zoology DOI 10.1139/cjz-2017-0116.
- Roy, C. L., V. St. Louis. 2017. Spatio-temporal variation in prevalence and intensity of trematodes responsible for waterfowl die-offs in faucet snail-infested waterbodies of Minnesota, USA. International Journal for Parasitology: Parasites and Wildlife 6:162-176.
- Roy, C. L., V. St. Louis, J. House. 2016. Seasonal distribution of the invasive faucet snail, Bithynia tentaculata, within infested waterbodies in Minnesota, USA, including waterfowl migration. Biological Invasions 18(10):2923-2941 DOI 10.1007/s10530-016-1183-5
- Berkman, L. K., C. K. Nielsen, C. L. Roy, E. J. Heist. 2015. Comparative genetic structure of sympatric leporids in southern Illinois. Journal of Mammalogy 96(2): doi: 10.1093/jmammal/gyv060
- Roy, C. L., C. M. Herwig, M. C. Zicus, D. P. Rave, W. L. Brininger, M. K. D. McDowell. 2014. Refuge use by hatching-year ring-necked ducks: an individual-based telemetry approach. Journal of Wildlife Management 78(7):1310-1317.
- Roy, C. L., J. Fieberg, C. Scharenbroich, and C. M. Herwig. 2014. Thinking like a duck: fall lake use and movement patterns of juvenile ring-necked ducks in northern Minnesota. PLoSONE 9(2): e88597 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0088597.
- Heinrich, K., M. Whiles, and C. L. Roy. 2014. Cascading Ecological Responses to an In-stream Restoration Project in a Midwestern River. Restoration Ecology 22:72-80.
- Berkman, L, K., C. K. Nielsen, C. L. Roy, and E. J. Heist. 2013. Population genetic structure among bobwhite in an agriculturally modified landscape. Journal of Wildlife Management 77(7):1472-1481.
- Roy, C. L., C. M. Herwig, and P. Doherty. 2013. Mortality and refuge use of young ring-necked ducks before and during hunting season in north-central Minnesota. Journal of Wildlife Management 77:947-956.
- Berkman, L, K., C. K. Nielsen, C. L. Roy, and E. J. Heist. 2013. Resistance is futile: Effects of landscape genetic features on gene flow of the northern bobwhite. Conservation Genetics 14(2):323-332.